Saturday, March 24, 2007

State Class A and Class B Semifinals

were held at the Breslin Center on MSU campus in E Lansing on Friday.

A former student of mine had an extra tickets for the four games, called me earlier in the week and offered them to me, and I went. Second year going with Bill and his son Matt and a few of Bill's friends from his church connections.

We had breakfast at a family restaurant at 17 Mile and Mound, just down the road from Bill's house, then packed six of us into his van for the ride to the Breslin (last year I drove). Lots of high school sports talk so I catch up on Utica Schools sports gossip, especially Stevenson High School.

Four very good games, two each in Class A and Class B. Most impressive was Saginaw High School with its great team speed and outside shooting.

Also Class A Warren De LaSalle, from Macomb County, gave Redford HS all it could handle in the other semifinal game. Up by five at the half, they finally succumbed to the game-long full court pressure losing by 6. Manny Harris of Redford was announced as Mr. Basketball earlier in the week but De LaSalle kept him in check most of the game holding him to about 15 points, nearly half his season average and well below his previous game's 42 points.

In Class B we saw Detroit Country Day win over previously undefeated Stevensville-Lakehore. DCD has Joe Dumar's son, Jordan, a 6-5 215 sophomore coming off the bench. I'll keep an eye on him over the next couple years.

I see many friends there who are also hs bball fans--some former and current coaches, some retired teachers, and some people who worked on education projects with me.

Many consider this day better than the day of finals since we see two Class A games and two Class B games, usually eight of the top teams in the state and some of the best players. I also enjoy the day of finals and recall fondly taking James and Todd to Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor several times for them.

A fun day if you are like me and really enjoy high school basketball. I look forward to next year.

No comments: