Saturday, August 2, 2008

Klotz Lake Fishing Camp 2008

On Friday, July 25, Ken, Jim, and I car pooled with Al and Paul from Almont to our first night's stay in Wawa, Ontario.  About 10 hours to cover the 45o or so miles (750 km, eh?)

Saturday morning we drove the remaining four hours to Klotz Lake and unpacked for the week.  

As it turned out, the weather that day foretold the weather for the week--rainy and cool.  I tolerated some rain and drizzle but retreated indoors when it got heavy.  Likewise with the black flies--veterans of this camp say they have never seen it worse.  Ken and Paul got peppered with bites early and often.  I learned my lesson my first time out without repellent and thereafter covered exposed areas with it.  My mama didn't raise no dummies!

On my first excursion on the lake, with Ken and Jim, I landed my biggest walleye of the week, about 20".  Then on my last trip out, with Hank and his son Nick (who taught me the card game Kings to the Corner), I caught my biggest Great Northern Pike at 30" (a personal best).  All in all, I did much better catching this year than last, getting fish in the boat each day.   The knowledge everyone is sharing with me seems to be paying off.

Scott and Hope, friends of Ken, joined us Monday as did Hope's mother's boyfriend, Roger on Thursday.  Good people to be around and good at fishing.  Hope landed the biggest walleye at 28" (she comes up for the break from the kids, fishes little, reads voraciously) which bothered Scott more than somewhat.  To keep his mind off it we had him deep fry our three fish dinners!  Fabulous.  Not to mention Roger's maple syrup for pancake breakfasts.

We finished another fun trip with a straight-through drive getting home around midnight.  Now to get my laundry done.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rhonda missed you and Ken at Calloway's yesterday morning. Guess you had literally "Gone Fishing".