Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend Warrior

Kathy and Brenda went on a Longaberger baskets trip to Dresden, Ohio with Jan and Patti.  They left by bus Friday morning (had to meet the bus at 5 am) and are returning tonight (Saturday) about 11 pm.  Kathy and Brenda went before and had a great time--I am sure this trip will be great also.

That left me to fend for myself.  So I sandwiched errands around our usual Friday breakfast.  That evening I went to Sterling Heights to see Romeo play Stevenson in football.  It may have been my first time back to Stevenson football since retirement.  Saw some staff that I worked with including Tracy Bigelow who joined the science department about seven years before I retired.  Kathy was Tracy's kindergarten teacher and she knew her parents who worked for Troy Schools.

I left in the fourth quarter with Stevenson ahead by 19.  At the time it seemed they had control of the game and I was getting a little cold.  As it turned out Romeo came back to go ahead late in the fourth quarter only to have Stevenson score a touchdown with 6 seconds left to hand the Bulldogs their second straight defeat after opening the season with six straight wins.

Stopped for coffee on my way to Oakland University for their version of Midnight Madness.  They gave away Golden Grizzlies caps to the first so many in attendance.  University staff were introduced who threw tee shirts into the crowd.  Teams of three with one being a student had a three-point shooting contest for gift certificates. A tumbling team from the Pistons along with their mascot dunked after launching themselves from trampolines.  Sports teams were introduced.  An athletic supporter donated $5k to the Grizz Gang, the student section.  Individual basketball players were introduced, alternating between men's and women's teams, then the coaches and their staffs.  The teams took the floor with the women's team putting on a 3-point shooting exhibition and the men's team showing off their dunking skills.  My main reason for going was to see Blake Cushingberry, freshman from Romeo. 

Saturday I got some chores checked off my list.  Friday I noticed some damage to an insert in the front bumper of the Cadillac and upon inspection realized it was from the raccoon I hit returning from the lake last week.  The parts were easy to reconnect by lining up a slot with a tab and pushing them together.  A crack in some plastic underneath is not noticeable.  Thought at first the damage was greater than what it turned out to be.  In addition I watched some of three blowout football games--first Purdue, then Michigan State, and finally Michigan.  Not a good day for my teams.

Kathy and Brenda must have had a good time because it's nearly midnight and I hear them laughing as they bring their shopping bags up the walk.  It's showtime!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I'm hoping Cush can get some good playing time at OU as a freshman. Great recruiting class. Hope you keep coming back to OU games this season.