Friday, April 13, 2007

MeadowBrook Theatre

presented Macbeth last night. I don't recall having seen a Shakespeare tragedy before, and I will have to think hard about seeing one again. The set was terrific and the acting superb, distinguishing features of MBT. But it took an enormous effort on my part trying to understand the dialogue. By the end I was tired and understood only about 10% of the dialogue. It's good for me this is his shortest tragedy.

When reading Shakespeare, I don't get as tired (granted, I don't read much by the Bard). But when reading I look at the notes, check word definitions, and re-read sections for better understanding.

I should have at least read a synopsis before hand. Lesson learned.

The next MBT show is a musical tribute to the Andrews Sisters who gave us their famous rendition of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy during WWII (Bette Middler had a fine rendition herself). Now that's my kind of music; I love the music of that era though I have little recollection of WWII itself.

No comments: