Saturday, May 5, 2007

Who's Dumb Enough To Pay For That?

Me, I suppose. I bought a portable XM radio this week via Amazon.com, activated a subscription and am now listening to Sly Stone on Channel 6, commercial-free music of the 1960s. I love the categories and variety of choices available, much of it commercial free.

I said the same thing when cable television first became available. Who's gonna pay for TV when they can see TV for free? Being commercial free was its main attraction, but that lasted only so long. Needless to say they have the business model close to correct--cable channels are different from over-the-air channels. Eventually we subscribed to cable TV (Brenda was recovering from one of her surgeries here and she needed it to pass the day) and have had it since. Not that there is a whole lot to watch, but it does have sports that interest us, especially our local pro teams.

It took me longer to get cable television than XM radio. Perhaps XM being included in our new car had something to do with it. I really enjoyed having XM on my solo drive to Nashville. Decades music, comedy (why do comedians have to use profanity when it does nothing for their story?), jazz and bluegrass, soul, and some talk radio.

Now my next question. Who would ever rent movies?

No comments: